Michigan Bill Expands Criminal Record Expungement
Changes to legislation signed by Governor Gretchen Whitmer will automatically clear certain convictions from public view, ultimately removing barriers to securing housing and employment for Michigan residents.
Following the changes made by Pennsylvania, Utah and California, Michigan too is adopting an automated system by which certain convictions will be cleared from public records after a specified time period. However, Michigan is the first state to automatically clear prior low-level felonies.
Details regarding the clearing process include:
- Expunging misdemeanors seven years after sentencing
- Clearing felonies 10 years after sentencing or the person's incarceration release date (whichever occurs last)
- Automatic clearing eligibility for up to two felonies and four misdemeanors
Record entries not eligible for automatic expungement include:
- Assault crimes (i.e. homicide, manslaughter, kidnapping, rape, armed robbery)
- Serious misdemeanors
- Crimes involving dishonesty (i.e. forgery, counterfeiting)
- Offenses punishable by at least 10 years in prison
- Crimes involving a minor, a vulnerable adult, injury or serious impairment, death or human trafficking
Notable changes pertaining to this legislation include:
- Expungement eligibility for most traffic offenses that do not involve other crimes of a more serious nature
- A streamlined process to clear misdemeanor marijuana offenses that would not have qualified as crimes after recreational marijuana was legalized in the state
- Expungement application waiting periods ranging from three to seven years after the criminal justice system's monitoring period ends and as dependent on the nature of the conviction
- Unlimited misdemeanors and a maximum of three felonies can be expunged; however no more than two assaultive crimes and one felony conviction can be expunged for the same offense providing the offense is punishable by at least 10 years of prison time
- Multiple felonies or misdemeanors arising within the same 24-hour period will be regarded as a single conviction as it applies to expungement eligibility providing none of the offenses are assaultive, involve the use or possession of a dangerous weapon or carry a penalty of at least 10 years imprisonment
This legislation affords the state two years to implement the automatic expungement process; remaining legislation in the bill package will take effect in 180 days. Changes incited by this new legislation will take effect retroactively.
Employers are encouraged to review changes in legislation with internal hiring teams. Business Information Group clients should contact their account management teams with any questions regarding these changes.
Posted: October 23, 2020
All Rights Reserved © 2020 Business Information Group, Inc.
This document and/or presentation is provided as a service to our customers. Its contents are designed solely for informational purposes, and should not be inferred or understood as legal advice or binding case law, nor shared with any third parties. Persons in need of legal assistance should seek the advice of competent legal counsel. Although care has been taken in preparation of these materials, we cannot guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information contained within it. Anyone using this information does so at his or her own risk.
We cannot express enough how much we have enjoyed working with BIG! It has really benefitted our processing and ease of doing business!
I enjoy collaborating with BIG, and know that if I have to reach out with a question/concern, a positive attitude with a willingness to find resolve is on the other side of an email or a phone call.
You have been the most professional and most helpful business partner that I have ever been associated with — always there to assist us and with rapid turnaround times.
I am confident whenever we add a product with your company that I will have a good experience.
We have received superior service and we know this is what you and your team strive for. We are grateful for the dedication, level of professionalism and effort shown.